The following are some of the most popular features of Sonia:
Sonia for Students Mobile App
- The Sonia for Students App will keep you and your students connected and informed.
- Available for phones and/or tablets for FREE on the Play Store and/or App Store.
- Information is cached so details can be seen when students are 'offline', e.g. when placed somewhere with no/poor internet access.
Enterprise Power - Supports multiple schools
- Multiple and unlimited schools can be created within a single installation of Sonia.
- Each school is distinct from one another, having its own separate records and terminology.
- Placement officers can have access to multiple schools, selecting a particular school to access at any one time, and easy to switch between.
- Enterprise level power providing whole of university support, site sharing, organisation-wide reporting.
- Dashboard views at various levels showing charts/maps/metrics.
- Inbuilt address mapping, e.g. you can see where all your students are on placement today.
Staff can customise terminology and business rules
- Key terminology can be customised on a per faculty or school basis, allowing your staff and students to use terms they are familiar with.
- School-wide business rules can be set once and always enforced on all placements and preferences.
- For each group of placements, placement officers can opt to overwrite the business rules with new rules if special cases apply.
Placement options range from automated allocation through to student-driven
- Sonia is incredibly flexible when it comes to the structure of placements.
- Education provider driven allocations, utilising automatic placement based on specific rules, through to manual assignment.
- Student self-allocation to flexible placements that occur at any time within a date range.
- Placement providers can advertise opportunities, interview, and make offers
Connection to your student enrolment system and other university infrastructure
- Enrolments can be imported automatically from your existing enrolment system as frequently as you would like.
- Complete student records including course information, address details and much more can be imported and updated automatically.
- IMS Interoperability Conformance Certification: integrate with LMS and LTI Tools
Bulk emailing/SMS with mail merge
- Reusable email templates can be defined to communicate with entire groups of students, supervisors and site contacts.
- A variety of mail merge placeholders can be added to the email templates.
- Placeholders range from simple information like the recipient's name to complex information such as a list of their outstanding checks.
Electronic forms easily designed and sent to contacts
- Design: Placement officers can build web forms, online surveys, questionnaires, polls, learning agreements, student evaluations, etc.
- Automate: Automatically populate your form fields with data from Sonia itself
- Distribute: Choose who to target (students/site contacts/supervisors), e.g. allocated students
- Analyse: View/print/export the responses
- Collaborate: Form designs can be exported and imported, allowing the easy sharing and reuse of forms amongst Sonia users.
- Action: Define multiple actions such as automatically setting a check, or populating data fields.
Custom fields can be added throughout Sonia
- If you require additional information that is specific to your school, on any type of record, you can create your own fields.
- Specify permissions for Sonia Online users as to who can see and/or edit the contents of each custom field.
Sites can be shared across all schools
- Each school can choose to share site information with other schools in their organisation on a per site basis.
- All site information such as address and personnel is shared, guaranteeing updated details are only entered once, resulting in consistent records.
- Site hierarchies can be defined with no limitation on depth
- Any information pertaining to placements for shared sites is kept within the particular schools, not shared with others.
Interviews can be setup between sites, students, supervisors, etc.
- A typical scenario might be that a student requests an interview at a particular site they want to attend. The interview might be in person, or via Skype, etc. All interview participants can see/manage the interview details using Sonia Online.
- Timezone details are included to avoid confusion when attendees are in different states/countries.
Unlimited attachment of documents and notes
- Students, staff and industry users can all upload documents and give permission on a per file basis as to who can access the documents.
- Notes can be made visible only to your colleagues or public to the individual users they concern
Student timesheets and activity logging
- Administration of timesheets for each placement can be delegated to internal supervisors, external site contacts or the students themselves.
- You can define the submitters, approvers and/or viewers.
- The choice to delegate or to keep administration of timesheets in the hands of the placement officers can be made per faculty or school.
- Track activities against timesheet entries to record student progress
Easy to use wizards to reduce data input
- Enter numerous similar or identical information in bulk within a few simple steps using our guided instructions.
- Create sequential placements for students spanning their entire degree taking into your business rules without conflicts.
Online registration of potential new placement providers
- Prospective placement providers can be directed to Sonia Online to fill a registration form allowing their details to be entered directly into Sonia.
- Existing providers can confirm requests and provide placement details for future or active placements.
Student nomination of new sites
- Reduce the pressure on placement officers to find providers by allowing students to nominate potential sites and provide contact information.
- Nominated sites are compared to existing sites and can be amalgamated into one entry containing the latest information.
Supervisor roster for planning and allocating supervisor staff to placements
- The roster view allows you to see an overview of your supervisors' schedule and availability for any given date range.
- Coordinate scheduling and workload for your supervisors in minutes.
Ad Hoc reports and exports give you flexible access to the data you need
- Export your records in a spreadsheet format that can be opened in Microsoft Excel or any similar product.
- Choose exactly the individual fields you want to extract from Sonia, filtered and sorted to your liking.
Over 100 reports available
- Sonia Reporting contains a variety of pre-defined reports for commonly requested information.
- Define the font, colours and other styles of all elements of your reports.
- The heading and footer of every report can be customised to your brand, including logos and text, formatted to your specifications.
Mentor payments with configurable calculation methods
- Create payment invoices in any currency or mixture of currencies for your site contacts that are mentors or coordinators for your students.
- Calculation methods can differ per group of placements, taking into account amount of students, duration or just a flat rate.
Features - Social networking built in - send your alerts to contacts via Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn
- Instantly notify students, site contacts, supervisors, who have liked or followed your organisation via social media.
- Once configured, all notifications can be made from within Sonia without having to open the social networks' websites.
Placement history is retained indefinitely
- Any information recorded into Sonia is kept forever.
- Only currently active information is displayed up front, historical information can be located via a simple search.
When it comes to Field Education, there's almost nothing that Sonia can't do!Beth Lewis, Director of Field Education – Bryn Mawr College, USA